Re: [OPE] Britain--parasitic and decaying capitalism: A comment

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Sat Jan 16 2010 - 09:48:27 EST

On 2010-01-16 15:19, Jerry Levy wrote:
> I think what you are doing, ironically, is the same as what I
> critisized Dave about ealier
> in this thread: trying to tease out the alleged political "implications"
> of a theoretical position a a way of critiquing that theory. As I remarked earlier to
> Dave this is bad practise - but one which, unfortunately, has a long history in
> Marxist discourse.

There is a fundamental difference here. I suggested how the structure of
a theory was open to be used to advocate politics that the originators
presumably did *not* intend. In the particular case it was the theory of
labour aristocracy and imperialism could be used to destroy working
class confidence and support national bourgeoisies, something I assumed
an Engels or a Yaffe had *not* intended. Dogan is writing in a different
genre, by trying to deduce my supposed intentions and political position.

//Dave Z