Re: [OPE] On Rereading Lenin's Imperialism: A Rejoinder [Cyrus Bina's Response to Paula Cerni's post]

From: Paula <Paula_cerni@msn.com>
Date: Mon Jan 18 2010 - 19:40:04 EST

I thank Mr Bina for reading my article critically and for encouraging others
to do likewise.

It appears he and I are in complete agreement at least on one thing - that
in this debate it is all too easy to talk past each other in a veritable
'dialogue of the deaf'. Perhaps that's why he finds some of my writings
difficult to decipher, while I have to confess that I find his critique of
my article equally opaque.

Mr Bina tells us: "I am adamantly against any position, eclectically (read
journalistically, unmethodically, etc.) or otherwise, which extends Lenin’s
(and by implication, Bukharin’s) theory of imperialism (i.e., an epoch-bound
theory dealing with a specific period of capitalism) to our present epoch".
Meanwhile, others on this list are just as adamantly opposed to extending
that same theory so as to take account of the emergence of new capitalist
powers. It seems that this emergence - so important and so obvious that even
mere journalists, without the help of any 'adamant' theories and methods,
talk about it every day - belongs only to the realm of the eclectic.

Sometimes I wonder whether there really are parallel universes, because I
don't recognize the world as described by either of these two approaches.

Paula