Re: [OPE] Important review of Kautskyism Past and Present

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Wed Aug 11 2010 - 15:45:02 EDT

Hi David Y:

I have no problem with anyone citing Lenin or anyone else. I have a problem with a historical pattern by Marxists of using citations by Marx, Engels, Lenin, Trotsky, Mao or other authorities to settle matters. This is not a criticism of you, but since you make a statement about the unintentional effect of using 'Leninist party' on discussion, you might want to consider whether there are unintentional effects on discussion of citing Lenin.

Re your comment on the archives: actually, as your comment alluded to, our archives are *MORE* open than those of most other mailing lists, including the deplorable obscenity and embarrassing tyranny called 'Marxmail', since our archives identify the author of posts along with their email addresses. In this regard, I am reminded of the closing section of "The Communist Manifesto"....