Re: [OPE] Reply to critics

From: Paula <Paula_cerni@msn.com>
Date: Mon Nov 08 2010 - 18:45:20 EST

Jerry wrote:
"You don't seem to recognize that there's a difference between the production of surplus value and the redistribution of surplus value ... Hence, I think we're at a dead end in this discussion".

Jerry, I'm happy to stop here if you think we've reached a dead end, but you misunderstand me. I do agree there's a difference between production and redistribution; our disagreement is about where to place the dividing line.

More generally, I strongly believe we should not base our analysis of the service economy (or anything else) on circular arguments and unexamined assumptions. Otherwise we're bound to get things wrong, and any intelligent person will quite rightly conclude we're not serious.

Paula