K. BURAK ÜÇER
Research Associate Professor, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem,
||Research Scientist, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem,
|1998 - 2004
Laser / Optical Instrumentation Specialist,
Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC.
- Responsible for the day to day management and maintenance of
a multiple user laser spectroscopy laboratory that includes two
ultrafast laser systems, an excimer laser and a streak camera.
- Designed and built a multiphoton confocal microscope for defect
mapping of thin film and bulk semiconductors with 200 nm lateral
and 700 nm axial resolution.
- Developed a LabView based data acquisition, experiment control
and analysis program for ultrafast absorption measurements.
- Mapped out defect structures in epitaxial GaN thin films with
high spatial accuracy.
- Collaborated with the Wake Forest Medical School
to integrate an existing pulsed laser with a commercial confocal
- Acted as a reviewer for the Proceedings of the 3rd International
Conference on Excitonic Processes in Condensed Matter.
- Taught Introductory Physics II in Summer 2000.
- Current research funded by the National Science Foundation,
NATO and the Gillette Corp.
|1990 - 1997
Research Assistant, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY.
- Designed and built a modelocked Ti:Sapphire laser for optical
characterization of semiconductors.
- Built an optical system for measurement of ultrafast dynamics
in semiconductor materials such as Silicon, GaAs and YBCO, capable
of detecting low signal levels at wavelengths ranging from the
ultraviolet to the mid-infrared.
- Investigated and modeled ultrafast carrier dynamics of light
- Wrote data acquisition and analysis software for multiple users.
Intern, Siemens AG, Erlangen, Germany.
- Designed and built a programmable, digital triggering device
for commercial X-ray machines.
Intern, ASELSAN Inc., Ankara, Turkey.
- Studied factory organization and manufacturing techniques of
military hand-held radio communication devices.
||Ph.D., Department of Electrical Engineering, University
of Rochester, Rochester, NY.
||M.S.E.E., Department of Electrical Engineering, Princeton
University, Princeton, NJ.
||B.S.E.E. (honors), Department of Electrical Engineering,
Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
OTHER RELEVANT SKILLS
- Completed laboratory courses in photolithography and etching techniques.
- Completed machine shop training.
AWARDS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Frank L. Horton Fellowship, Laboratory for Laser Energetics, 1991-1995.
- Merit Award, Princeton University, 1989.
- Undergraduate Scholarship Award, Central Bank of Turkey, 1985-1989.
- Placed in the top 250 out of ~ 900,000 entrants in the Turkish university
entrance exams, 1985.
- Member, Optical Society of America.
- Member, American Physical Society.
- Member, IEEE.
- Enjoys racquetball, hiking, whitewater rafting and ethnic cooking.
- Amateur computer hobbyist.
Download: MS Word version.