[OPE-L:2784] Re: Hegel: particularity, universality, individuality

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 14:16:02 EDT

This is a response to Michael W's interesing passage in 2740, which I have
unfortunately deleted.

Michael,

Thanks very much for this interesting passage. Are you suggesting
that for Hegel as well, the "individuality of the elements is not the
beginning but the end of the conceptual development"? This is very
interesting. In a quantitative sense, it seems to me that this could be
interpreted as implying that aggregate economic magnitudes ("universal
relations") (e.g. the total amount of surplus-value) are determined prior
to individual magnitudes (e.g. the individual parts of surplus-value),
which of course I have argued is one of the main points of Marx's logical
method. What do you think?

Also, the second sentence is also very interesting to me, because it has
to do with mathematics. But what does it mean? And how does it relate to
the first sentence? Is the first sentence about the "procedure of
theoretical natural science"? How does mathematics "contain the key and
the justification" for theoretical natural science?

Thanks in advance.

Comradely,
Fred