[OPE-L:2957] Re: Re: Dialectical Contradictions, Positivism?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 15:43:02 EDT

Riccardo, here is an attempt at clarification:
Money as category mistake: the one commodity which in its bodily shape
incarnates a conceptual property (abstract labor) or the equivalence class
itself of which all commodities are members.

Mysteries of commodities: by their exchangeability against money, all
thingly commodities prove themselves to be material and conceptual,
sensuous and supra-sensuous things.

We can argue that these violations of the principles of non-contradiction
(member and class, thing and concept) are resolved through Hegel's logic.
But this would then dispense with Marx's critique of the metaphysically
illformed nature of reality if it is through things that our social labor
is organized. Once we realize this the necromancy of commodities
disappears.

Yours,
Rakesh