[OPE-L:2966] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need 1 and Luxemburg's *Accumulation ofCapital*

From: riccardo bellofiore (bellofio@cisi.unito.it)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 10:41:48 EDT

Andrew, thanks for your answer, brief and clear. Of course, this compels
other questions...

At 3:00 +0100 30-04-2000, Andrew_Kliman wrote:

>I think this overstates the case to some degree. For instance, it is
>only since the 1970s that physicalism/simultaneism can be said to have
>triumphed.

Andrew, I'm interested in this statement of yours. Why you say that
physicalism/simultaneism 'triumphed' in the 1970s? Looking at the Italian,
or French, or even Anglo-Saxon debates I would have said that physicalism
started to be questioned in the 1960s and 1970s. So, what's your argument?

>To the extent that what you're saying is true, my answer is:
>
>(a) The misrepresentations help reinforce capitalist class rule. (I
>realize functional explanations are insufficient, but I'm keeping this
>short, as you requested.)

This interests me. But why this specific misrepresentation reinforces class
rule. Do you imply that simultaneists are putting forward a bourgeuois
representation of capitalist reality?

>(b) Misrepresentations aren't recognized, acknowledged, and repudiated,
>because interpretations aren't tested empirically against the whole of
>Marx's work.

Andrew, I know you will not like my answer, but the problem is that if we
follow your line of reasoning, which has its merits, we should all
recognize that we ALL have read a Marx which is not Marx in all of our
translations, and even in German. ONLY NOW the whole Marx - i.e. the
original manuscripts of the different version of Capital since 1857-8 - are
available. Then, what we should do, following your suggestion, is: be
silent for 10 years, study Marx in the original in German, and THEN check
our interpretations of Marx. May be, in the meantime, take a couple of
course of textual criticism, trying to understand if it would be possible
to have a 'neutral' reading of a text. BTW, I think that doing this sort of
things would be extremely positive and liberatory. Unfortunately, my
University will not give me money for following this pulsion of mine.

riccardo

        Riccardo Bellofiore
Office: Department of Economics
        Piazza Rosate, 2