[OPE-L:3169] Re: Re: Re: Marx -> Hegel -> Spinoza -> Epicurus -> ?

From: Ajit Sinha (ajitsinha@lbsnaa.ernet.in)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 06:51:08 EDT

Paul Cockshott wrote:

> At 11:02 11/05/00 -0400, you wrote:
> >
> >I continue to find the hostility of many Marxists to Hegel very
> >difficult to comprehend when they are only familiar with his
> >theory through secondary sources. Are they afraid that they will
> >catch some kind of infectious disease if they open a book by
> >Hegel? My gosh, if I mailed Rakesh or you a book by Hegel, would
> >you both break out in hives upon opening the wrapper? (It's
> >almost tempting to try this out as a joke!).
>
> My hostility to hegel comes from reading his Logic and his
> Philosophy of Nature. Whilst the latter has a certain appeal,
> I regard the former as the most concentrated and unadulterated
> tosh that I have ever read - give me Boole any day.

Hegel is not a problem for me (by which i don't mean understanding
him). The problem is with "materialist Hegelianism, which is niether
here nor there. Jeery seems to read a lot and likes to recommend
others to read too, which is good in itself. But one day i hope he
will begin to think of shifting his focus to understanding some of
what he reads. Cheers, ajit sinha