[OPE-L:3308] Re: Re: starting points [can surplus value be measured?]

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 10:11:43 EDT

At 09:27 24/05/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Mattick Jr is not the first to argue the problem of measuring value.
>Althusser, "Crisis of Marxism", 1978, poses the following question:

there follows a quote from Althusser.

What Althusser is dealing with here is a rather different question from
that of the measurement of value, he is asking about the determination
of the level of surplus value and the extent to which this depends upon
other factors such as length of the working day. I do not recall Althusser
ever giving any support to Mattick Jr's point.