[OPE-L:4044] RE: Re: Re: Re: m in Marx's theory

From: P.J.Wells@open.ac.uk
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 08:00:27 EDT

I'm hastily catching up on OPE:

Gil replied (in #930) to a comment by Paul C that

> >More abstractly, given a large set of industries with random
> distributions of
> >organic compositions of capital - following *some appropriate Gaussian
> >distribution*

(emphasis added)

Is there any reason to think that the distribution of industry OCC's (or of
firm ones, for that matter) would be Gaussian?

Haste means I don't have time to look in Farjoun and Machover, but I don't
recall them discussing this point: has anyone else?

If I had to give a guess off the top of my head, I'd predict some skewed
distribution.

Julian