[OPE-L:4198] Re: Re: Part Two of Volume III of Capital

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 03:57:05 EDT

Re 4194

>Hi Duncan,
>
>I have been trying to find the time to think about and respond to your
>very interesting and provocative post on Part 2 of Volume 3, so far
>without success.  And I will be away for the weekend.  But I hope to have
>some time next week.  I want to respond especially to your first point
>about the technical composition of capital and the role it plays in Marx's
>theory.
>
>Thanks again for your post.  I look forward to further discussion.
>
>Fred

Fred,
I don't think I ever read your paper on prices of production as long
term centers of gravity.
Do you agree with Duncan that Marx thought that unit prices of
production would only change over the long term? Or do you agree with
me that Marx is only saying that changes in prices of prodution due
to changes in the general rate of profit would be manifest in the
long term, not that changes in unit prices of production due to
changes in the value of the commodities themselves would only obtain
over the long term?
I think Marx's meaning (and capitalist reality) is clear, and in my favor.
All the best, Rakesh