[OPE-L:4857] Re: RE: the new value theory

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 07:16:00 EST

Andrew K wrote in [OPE-L:4854]:

> Jerry wrote: "Just as clearly, Marx's theory of value
> can't  reasonably be described as being
> a "new value theory"."
> Not clear to me.  In fact, that's what I meant by the
 > new value  theory.

OK, well at least that mystery is solved.

It  is true, of course, that "new" and "old" are relative and imprecise
terms. Yet, most would agree that Marx's theories can no longer be described
as being "new". (Indeed, original editions of his writings are sometimes
sold in antique shops and antiquarian bookstores).

 > (snip, JL)   It
> was a new rediscovery.

"Rediscovery" [of Marx's value theory],  rather than "new theory", seems to
be the word most consistent with what advocates of the TSSI have written
elsewhere about that interpretation.

I gather, then, that you claim that it was Marx's value theory rather than
more recent "Marxian theories of value" that represented a Copernican
revolution.  Thus, the "Copernican revolution"  in value theory happened in
the 19th Century (even if that wasn't fully appreciated at that time).

In solidarity, Jerry