[OPE-L:7765] Re: Re: "Hic Rhodus, hic salta!"

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 16:36:57 EDT

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, gerald_a_levy wrote:

> Re Fred's [7754]:
>
> "no textual evidence at all ...."   ???
>
> Putting aside for now citations from Marx's manuscripts,
> including  the _Grundrisse_ (which were discussed previously
> in the "ideal vs. real value" thread), let us consider
> the following sections from _Capital_:
>
> (all page numbers below are from Penguin/Vintage
> editions)
>
> Volume 2:
>
> 124-125
> 145-146
> 203
> 205-206
> 295-297
> 396
> 399
> 418-419
> 423
>
> Volume 3:
>
> 134-135
> 352-353
> 393
> 966-967
> 982

Jerry, my statement that "I see no textual evidence at all, in any of
Marx's manuscripts, that he himself followed such a "two-stage" method"
referred to how I understood Riccardo's interpretation, according to
which:

Stage 1 is determination of a hypothetical total surplus-value
(dM*) proportional to the labor-time embodied in surplus goods.

Stage 2 is the transformation of this hypothetical total surplus-value
into the actual total surplus-value (dM).

I don't see that any of the passages you have cited suggest this kind of
"two-stage" determination of the total actual surplus-value.

Would you please clarify?  Thanks.

Comradely,
Fred