Re: on money

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 11:51:27 EDT

Hi Paul,

Yes and no.  We can give an independent verbal account of the social form
that constitutes the commodity as Marx does at the beginning of Capital, and
this does not require an account of the buying and selling of labor power.
Also, I argued that the social form that constituted the product of labor as
a commodity was causally potent.  If it is, then the causal potential of
that form will tend to operate wherever that social form actually exists.
But only tend to.  Other social forms intersect in social life and the
effects of one can override the tendencies of another -- gravity pulls heavy
bodies to earth, but birds fly.  The causal powers that characterize the
commodity form are fully exercised and come to actual fruition only where
substantially all products of labor appear as commodities.    This requires
capital.  To give an account of how capital constitutes wealth presupposes
the intersection of value and the separation of the worker from the means of
production.

Howard