Re: (OPE-L) Ajit's paper

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 06:44:16 EDT

At 3:12 AM -0700 6/1/04, ajit sinha wrote:
>Rakesh, I have no idea what is this about. Can we
>stick to the issues we are debating? Cheers, ajit
>sinha

Out of his debate with Malthus Ricardo was led to search for an
invariable measure of value, no? Sraffa claimed to have devised just
that in the standard commodity, no? So why did Malthus prompt Ricardo
to search for an invariable measure of value? Why--or on what exact
assumptions--can (as you put it in the Westra and Zuege volume) "the
effect on the money commodity of a change in wages imply that even if
the net output has been kept constant in physical terms a change in
its distribution between wages and profits could very well change its
size when measured in... money terms"?

Rakesh