Re: (OPE-L) Re: Changing the World by Taking Power

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 21:52:21 EDT

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Gerald A. Levy wrote:

>> Of course you do, but then we knew that in Edinburgh thirty years ago.
>
> John H and Paul C,
>
> What were the 2 of you doing 30 years ago?  Was Allin there then?
> What was the Edinburgh political scene like then?

I'm not sure you really want to know ;-).

John [Holloway] ran a Marxism seminar in the Politics Department at
Edinburgh University at that time, which I attended (as a grad
student).  Paul [Cockshott] was not at the University at that time
but was "around".  We were running a Marxism study group as I
recall.  This was pre-Thatcher and a "middle-of-the-road" Labour
government was in office, implementing cuts in public expenditure
mandated by the IMF.  Scottish Nationalism was in the air, but there
was also a small, contested space for left critiques of Labour.

As for John's comment, I'm not sure that the implied predictability
of Paul's approval of Tariq Ali's recent comments [if I'm reading
this exchange correctly!] is quite correct.  Paul and I would
probably have been labeled "Maoists" in the Edinburgh of the
mid-1970s, and as such were not necessarily in tune with Tariq Ali,
who was a prominent Trotskyist.

Allin Cottrell