Re: (OPE-L) Re: the death of Jacques Derrida

From: Anders Ekeland (anders.ekeland@ONLINE.NO)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 08:02:09 EDT

It is difficult to discuss Derrida, I mean it is difficult to have a
rational discussion of a texts so confused when judged by normal standards
as for example Spectres.

In my opinion Derrida is not to be compared to Marx at all. Neither method
nor approach to science, nor degree and kind of political activity.

You can read Derrida as mystical poetry, confused, strange, hallucinating,
and maybe inspiring for the followers. No movement, neither intellectual or
social can be build on or enriched Derrida. A rather naked emperor in my
opinion.

Just now I only have "Specters" in Norwegian, but there are far too many
parts of this book that are just a stew of words. I could give you several
examples.

Let's not start a big discussion on Derrida, I have no time for that.

Just wanted to express that I think that a critical approach to Derrida is
necessary than that Callari voices. My opinion is close to Terry Eagelton
in his "The illusions of Post-Modernism", the main line of arguemnt you
will find in this small book.

Regards
Anders Ekeland
Norway