[OPE-L] New Version of Capital Annotations

From: Hans G. Ehrbar (ehrbar@LISTS.ECON.UTAH.EDU)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 17:48:36 EST

Jerry, here is an answer to the two questions you asked on
Monday.  First an answer to your second question:

> ... would you like to take a position on whether the
> expression "actualization of surplus value" is a better
> rendering in English of what has generally translated been
> as "realization of surplus value"?

Answer: the term "actualization of surplus value" uses the
Critical Realist definitions which I consider appropriate
when studying Marx.  Critical Realism distinguishes
between the real, the actual, and the empirical.

According to Critial Realism, something is real if it has
causal powers, i.e., if it can cause things to happen.  Even
if these causal powers rest unexercised, or if their
exercise is blocked by other influences.  This is a very
deep concept; things which are invisible and which are by
their nature unperceivable can be real.  Society is real, it
consists of relations (not of people, as Marx famously
remarked).  Relations cannot be seen, but they certainly
have effects.

Actual things and events are those things and events which
do exist and happen, and which are produced by the real
generative mechanisms.

The empirical consists of those actual things and events
which are accessible to human sense experience.

Applying this paradigm to Marx, the value of a commodity is
real as soon as the commodity has been produced.  This
production has used up human labor, and its producer needs
compensation for this.  This has potential social effects.
But only potentially.  Maybe, due to the anarchy of the
market, this labor was not socially necessary; in such a
situation the social causal powers of the abstract labor
invested in this commodity, which the producer intended
since he produced the thing for sale, will never be
exercised.  On the other hand, when the good is sold, then
the value of it is not only real but by the act of sale it
has become actual or, one might say, effective (wirklich).
Because now, in the form of money, this value has the power
to buy everything.

Now your first question:

> How do you translate Verwirklichungsform?

Marx uses this word for instance in the three peculiarities
of the equivalent form.  He says that the concrete labor
producing the coat is the Verwirklichungsform of the
abstract labor producing the value of the linen.

To explain what is going on here I'd like to start with Adam
and Eve, i.e., with the double character of labor.  Labor
has a concrete useful aspect and also, being expenditure of
human labor-power, a general abstract aspect.  The concrete
useful labor objectifies itself in the use-value of the
product, but the abstract labor, which creates the value of
the product, nevertheless does not leave a trace in the body
of the product itself.  Its only outward sign is that this
product can be exchanged for other products.  This is why
Marx says the value materiality (Wertgegenstaendlichkeit) of
the linen is purely social.

Now for the practical purposes of the exchange, this
invisible value materiality needs to become something real
and tangible which people can interact with.  This is the
money.  Money is the independent physical existence of the
value of the commodity.  Therefore one can say that the
useful labor producing gold is the Verwirklichungsform of
the abstract labor producing the value of the linen, i.e.,
the form in which the abstract labor producing the value of
linen springs into a tangible existence.  This is the form
in which something that is real but not material becomes
material and in this way becomes actual.

Here is another stab at it: Abstract human labor can be said
to be real but not actual: it is the expenditure of human
labor-power and in this way very real, and as such it is the
source of value.  But unlike the concrete labor it does not
leave a trace in the product; therefore one might say the
abstract labor is invisible, while the concrete labor is
visible.  Now as soon as the linen weaver expresses the
value of the linen in the use value of the coat, it gives
the invisible abstract labor which created the value of the
linen a visible representation in the concrete labor
producing the coat.  This is why the concrete coat labor is
called Verwirklichungsform of the abstract linen labor.

Here is Marx's sentence in German:

 Gilt der Rock z.B. als blosse Verwirklichung,
 so die Schneiderei, die sich tatsaechlich in ihm verwirklicht,
 als blosse Verwirklichungsform abstrakt menschlicher Arbeit.

Marx certainly didn't make it easy for the reader;  this
sentence is short for:

 Gilt der Rock z.B. als blosse Verwirklichung abstrakt
 menschlicher Arbeit, so die Schneiderei, die sich
 tatsaechlich in ihm verwirklicht, als blosse
 Verwirklichungsform abstrakt menschlicher Arbeit.

In other words, when the linen weaver expresses the value of
her linen in the coat, she turns the coat into the tangible
reflection or actualization (Verwirklichung) of the
congealed abstract labor in her linen.  By doing this she at
the same time turns the concrete labor producing the coat
into the form in which the abstract labor producing the linen
becomes actual or finds a tangible existence.

Therefore I would translate "Verwirklichungsform of abstract
human labor" as "the form in which abstract human labor
becomes actual" or use one of the other similar expressions
I used above.

Hans.