Re: [OPE-L] Teaching Tautologies : dynamic or static?

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 08:11:12 EST

> are these thoughts/models formulated mathematically as difference or
> differential equations, i.e. a real dynamic model, or is this traditional
> curve-shift analysis?
> The latter is IMHO inadequate for real analysis of stability, robustness
> of results etc.
> So if static - did you check stability etc. with a "larger" dynamic model?

Hi Anders:

I think I can answer that question.  The method employed is that of
comparative statics.  Recall again (and read below) the purpose
of DL's paper.

So long as that is all one wants to do, what's wrong with using
comparative statics?  I.e. so long as one _only_ wishes to provide
a critique of a theory using the methods employed by that theory
(rather than, for example, to make a claim about capitalist macro
dynamics which would need to be more rigorous, make different
assumptions  and use different definitions, etc., and have an
empirical/historical component) then I see nothing wrong  with that.
Do you?

In solidarity, Jerry

.