Re: [OPE-L] The Accountant in End Times

From: Philip Dunn (pscumnud@DIRCON.CO.UK)
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 10:43:21 EDT

Hi Jerry

Quoting Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM:

> Hi Phil:
>
> > Are you saying that use-value is constitutive of value in the sense that
> > an invisible value tag is tied to the use-value with non-material string?
>
> No, I am simply making what I took to be an uncontroversial point:
> the 'being' of value requires the presence of use-value, i.e. without
> use-value, there is no value.

This is agreed.

> > And that the magnitude of value so attached is fixed for ever?
>
> Certainly not.  Use-value is a pre-condition and constituent form
> of value.  It does not itself fix the magnitude of value.  But,  if
> a commodity was presumed to have value and is later shown not
> to have use-value, then the lack of use-value can "un-fix" the
> magnitude of the value of the product.
>
> > That
> > would seem to make value a property of the use-value.
>
> Use-value, like value and exchange-value, is a social property
> of the commodity.

I would say that exchange value is not a property of the commodity at all,
although exchangeability, the value-form, is constitutive of the commodity.
Exchange-value is the other thing that commodity exchanges for. Also I would
say use-value is a natural property of the commodity, not a social property, in
the sense of "social" and "natural" that is involved ere.

Do you still have a problem with a physical stock having negative value?

Philip Dunn