Re: [OPE-L] ISMT Conference in July on Marx and MEGA 2

From: Regina Roth (roth@BBAW.DE)
Date: Mon May 15 2006 - 12:57:09 EDT

Jerry,

A "historical-critical edition" critically explores and analyses all sources available for
each  text of any author. In my view, this term refers mainly to two aspects.

First, texts provided by a critical edition offer a comprehensive and reliable basis for
research and for other editions. That means that every text, especially if handwritten,
has to be checked against the original wherever it is kept. Or, if, for a text, there are
more than one witnesses, which have come down to us, all of them are gathered, and
they have to be compared before constituting this reliable "edited text" (i.e. if there are
differing formulations in several prints). All variants are documented. If there are
corrections to be made by the editors they are also listed.

Second, the editors are exploring where, how, why, in what context a text has been
written. They also tell, if other versions of a text exist, and in what way they differ. So,
the development of texts, works etc. are in the focus of a historical-critical edition.
Some more details on the philological principles of the MEGA may be found on this
site:

http://www.bbaw.de/bbaw/Forschung/Forschungsprojekte/mega/en/Startseite

Regina