Re: [OPE-L] Reclaiming Marx's "Capital": book launch talks, reviews, media coverage

From: Fred Moseley (fmoseley@MTHOLYOKE.EDU)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2007 - 23:18:53 EDT

Quoting David Laibman <dlaibman@SCIENCEANDSOCIETY.COM>:

> Since a referendum appears to be developing on this, I would like to
> weigh in.  Jerry is right that the paranoid tone of certain comments
> originated with Andrew; he (Jerry) was merely the reporter.  But, as
> one who is highly critical of the TSSI, I would suggest that -- to
> the extent we continue to discuss this at all -- we focus *entirely*
> on the substance: the nature of value, the role of value theory, the
> falling rate of profit tendency, the Okishio Theorem, the best way to
> think about temporal/sequential/nonequilibrium vs.
> simultaneous/structural/equilibrium perspectives on capitalist
> reality, the best way to read and interpret Marx, etc.  In short,
> imagine that AK et al are exemplars of collegiality, diplomacy and
> principled debate!  Forget personalities; go directly to the heart of
> the matter.

Hi David,

I agree with you.  I hope we can discuss the TSSI in the manner you
suggest.  I would like to focus especially on the question that you
mention of sequential (or temporal) determination vs. simultaneous
determination (both Marx's theory in this regard and the best way to
analyze capitalism).  Ian W., Paul C. and I and others have discussed
this crucial issue on OPEL before.  Kliman's book gives us an
opportunity to get back to it.  I hope to send a post within the next
few days on this topic (unfortunately, our classes start next week; I
imagine many of us are in the same boat).  Others are of course welcome
to get us started.

Comradely,
Fred