Re: [OPE] Is 'dialectic' a scientific, pre-scientific or pseudo-scientific concept?

From: paul bullock (paulbullock@ebms-ltd.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2008 - 06:37:34 EDT

I am a bit surprised at this exchange. Firstly given the period in which Hegel Marx and Engles wrote, the notion that  change was continuouis certainly conflicted with the method that all sciences tended to rely on, AND we shoud bear in mknd that 'social science' was barely in its infancy... ( where do we start there? earlier vthan Comte?). Static or relative static / mechanical assessments were the norm. So the reassertion of the 'dialectic' ( almost whatever sense of dynamism one gives it) with hegel was 'revolutionary'.

Secondly no one has really tried to define dilectical reasoning here... Lenin was sincere enough to study Hegel in order to clarify his mind about the process Marx had gone through, even though Marx's method is absolutely different from Hegel...(and from the 'material' side different from eg Holbach)  So why don't we try to see if  'ready to hand' words that suggest motion and change really are sufficient to replace the 'word' dialectic.. as has been suggested in this exchange by DZ... OR whether it presents a specific method with definite philosophical grounds and which provides therefore a particular approach to investigation?  Certainly DZ's comments  seem to exclude the basic dialectical premise that each social formation contains within it the contradictions which will result in its supercession by another. This isn't an idea that can be expressed by the word 'change' or 'dynamic'. The essential concept is  that of 'contradiction'... and it the identification of the actual , material, contradictory social relations, that is fundamental  in the investigation. The idea of 'dynamic' or 'change' don't point to this 'motor'.

P Bullock