Need a letter of recommendation?
I am in general happy to write on behalf of students whom I know. Please follow these steps:
- Email me to make a face-to-face appointment.
- Provide (preferably via email) a list of where you're applying and copies/emails of all forms they require. Tell me who else is writing in support of you.
- Provide details on how/where I submit, and (important!) their deadlines. Please try to ask me at least 2 weeks in advance. For written letters, stamped envelopes are unnecessary.
- If you have a resume handy, give me a copy. (Don't write a resume just for me; this is something we can just discuss in person.)
- For graduate applications, please provide me with copies of what materials you will submit (drafts are okay).
- Please waive your right to see the recommendation, or discuss with me why you have not.
- Is there any experience or work in particular that I should address in the letter?
- I usually send an email once all of your recs are complete; if the deadline is approaching & you haven't heard from me, please send a polite reminder.
- Whether you're accepted or not, please let me know the outcome.